Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sognefjord

I took my first fjord trip this weekend.  I left Bergen on a boat at 8am on Friday morning, and arrived around 1:30 deep in the Sognefjord in a little village called Flam (the "a" is supposed to have a little dot on the top, but I can't figure out how to do that).  I stayed in a hostel in Flam until Saturday afternoon around 3pm, when I took one train to Myrdal and then a 2nd train to Bergen, arriving around 6pm.  Since I took about 300 pictures this weekend, I'm sure I'll be posting them in steps over the next few days. Don't worry, I won't post but a small percentage!  For today, I will just post pictures from the boat trip.  Note: you can click on any picture to open up a full-size version.

In case of emergency, don't forget to fasten the strap from your "beaver-tail"!!


Bye-bye Bergen!


Gorgeous day for a boat trip
I love how the water perfectly reflects everything





A random patch of fog


If this photo were upside-down, could you tell?

Are you jealous of how close these people live so close to Sognefjord, the longest, deepest fjord in Norway & 2nd largest in the world?  It's over 128 miles long & at its deepest point, it reaches 1,300+meters.  To learn more about this fjord, click here: http://www.earthfacts.net/places/sognefjord/






Imagine what this will look like when the leaves start to change colors...


It was quite cold (in the 30's Fahrenheit), but we all kept going out to the deck for a few minutes at a time to snap pictures.  Here the boat came up to a waterfall and paused, which made it less cold/windy.




On a final note, here are a few more random pictures from the boat part of my trip.  I even saw a few dolphins, but they were too small to get a good picture.  Stay tuned for future posts on Flam and the railway!


No comments:

Post a Comment