Saturday, September 10, 2011

Corrections, clarifications, and other words that start with C

C is for cookie it's good enough for me...

Cookie cookie cookie, cookie starts with C

Ok yeah so maybe I'm a little delirious.

The other day I was emailing with Dianne, who was my high school librarian.  Dianne is a wonderfully sweet lady, who has had many exchange students over the years from all over the world.  She asked one of her former exchange students, Magnus, who is from Norway what the little green signs meant.  He said that they are to indicate emergency exits.  Aha, so I wasn't too far off with my guess of "go this way in case of zombie apocalypse." Because if a zombie apocalypse is not an emergency, then I don't know what is.  Also he said that "lys sirup" was not honey, but in fact corn syrup.  D'oh!  So now I found actual honey, which in fact is called "honning".  Interesting.

I've been pretty sick the last couple of days with a cold.  Probably because when I left LA, it was sunny and in the 80s (fahrenheit) and since I've been in Bergen it's been raining and in the 50s.  I took a couple more pictures of random, everyday items. 

Like the money:
Left to right: 20, 10, 5, and 1 NOK
These are the coins.  The money here is called Norwegian Krones.  Norway is not part of the EU because it would bring their economy down.  Seriously.  To convert to US dollars, it's a bit more than if you divide by 6, but a little less than dividing by 5.  So the coins are about $4, $2, $1, and $0.25. Speaking of money, things are quite expensive here.  The first couple of days I took the bus, it was 25NOK each way.  Then I bought a monthly bus pass and it was about $125.

A couple of people have asked me about the food.  So far the two most interesting things I have seen are these.  Caviar in a tube & these little individual espresso packages that can be inserted directly into a machine still wrapped.  There were several choices for the caviar in a tube.  I think this one is cod (at least according to google translate).



And last but not least...one day the sun was out for a few minutes so I went outside and took a picture of the building where I live.

Home for the next 3 months

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the mention and kind words. I'm enjoying your Norwegian adventure. Love you~

    ReplyDelete